Our Story

Groenkloof Hospital and RehabWorx

The hospital’s original name, Groenkloof Hospital, is derived from the Sisters of the Little Company of Mary, a congregation of nuns, founded by Mary Potter in Nottingham, England in 1877.

“The Little Company” refers to the faithful followers who remained in the Company of Mary, the Mother of Jesus, at the foot of the cross throughout Jesus’ suffering and death.

The Groenkloof Hospital, Pretoria, was founded in 1957. The nuns, qualified sisters, dedicated their lives of prayer and work to the alleviation of human suffering, with particular emphasis on the sick and dying.

In October 2015, the Groenkloof Hospital was renamed to Groenkloof Hospital.

RehabWorx, commenced in 2005, comprising of a small company of woman, namely Nicola Buhrs, Nikki de Beer and Liezel Spies, under the guidance and leadership of Dr Wiebren Duim, neurologist. RehabWorx began in humble beginnings in a small room in the medical centre. Filled with passion and enthusiasm in developing a stroke unit, a rehabilitation gym together with a rehabilitation ward, known as St Francis Ward, was established.

A mere handful of therapists, has emulated to a team of 11 therapists, 2 neurologists, namely Dr Wiebren Duim and Dr Chris Guldenpfennig, 2 neuro-surgeons, Drs Eddie Gurnell and Albert Viljoen, a psychologist, Karlien Erasmus, dietrician Christina Nieuwoud and all the staff from the neurological ward, St Francis. It is in this caring environment and in our beautiful sun-filled gymnasium, that we currently direct all our time and effort as doctors, therapists and nurses in enabling people with disabilities to achieve optimal participation in their daily lives.